Tuesday, October 2, 2012

THE ARENA: EP 1 - MORRIS vs KID DAVID [DS2DIO]

Crazy Legs from the world famous, Rock Steady Crew, just posted this up on Facebook. I heard about a little competition like this, but didn't know it was going to be a little YouTube mini series. Pretty interesting. I'm not really big on mainstream competitions i.e. So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) or America's Best Dance Crew (ABDC), so I'm a little bit hesitant. I think the purpose of this show is really to provide the mainstream audience of what the dance is about. I mean, there were B-Boys on both SYTYCD and ABDC, but I think the fact all three of the judges are b-boys and b-girls that gives it a lot more credibility. SYTYCD is a PRIME example...none of the judges have danced in a cypher. Probably never seen a real b-boy battle in their life, so how can they even have an inkling of judging a cat when they don't even meet the criteria themselves? I honestly don't think this will hurt the dance. In fact, it will show a different side. There are different competitions out there that I truly like such as the Octagon which forces you to be really sharp inside of a 5 foot octagon. You have to not repeat...you have to work your way in and out of the octagon. You have to make sure that you don't step on the boundaries or else you are disqualified. This is a bit more on the time and skill difference. Whatever you are lacking, it will clearly show. You have to keep your moves concise and really show how sharp you are in the amount of time. I kind of dig that. Anyway, enough of my rambling. The judges are Crazy Legs, Asia One, and Abstrak. The contestants are Kid David, Morris, Kid Glyde, El Nino, Gravity, Floor Phantom, Spee-D, and Keebz. If you are a b-boy, you can tell this is a well rounded competition. Enjoy the footage. More to come in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment