Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Always be thankful

I'm just watching the Oprah episode with Wyclef that I missed earlier. All I have to say is props to Wyclef for not only taking a stand, but flying straight down to his country the NEXT day. For all the people ridiculing him and saying he's profiting off this, that is a bunch of bullshit. His own country...he's been with an NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) for years now. I love Wyclef for this, because he's been saying things about Haiti for a long time now - not just this Earthquake ordeal. For a 3rd generation Caribbean, I know what it is to feel a certain way in a certain country. I'm currently gaining back all the culture I should've gotten earlier. However, that's another topic.

What I have to say is I'm very blessed and thankful I have all the things I need. Surviving off $1 a day is straight impossible for any human being. And I know things are worse in other countries..I understand that. And I dont knock anyone for saying this. It just holds a special place in my heart because Haiti is so close to the Bahamas - where my grandfather is from. I also give Haiti the utmost respect for being the 1st Caribbean country that gained it's freedom in 1803.

You see why the Haitians have soo much pride. All my love and respect goes to Haiti. It's not a separate thing..not just a Bahamas vs Dominican Republic vs Haiti vs Cuba vs Puerto Rico vs Trinidad vs Jamaica thing. It's not just a Caribbean vs Black vs African thing. This affects everyone. We are all people. So please do go and donate whatever you have. Seriously? Go do it now! I'll post a widget where you can donate.

You can either text 501501 and $5 will be added to your phone bill. You can go to http://www.yele.org (Wyclef's foundation) and donate there (I donated to that earlier in the week). You can also go to http://www.care.org/ Please donate whatever you can! Whether it'd be clothes, food, or any other supplies. Every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment